Re: Most processes gradually becoming 'D'

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:02:21 +0000

Romano Giannetti wrote:
> > > Was you playing an audio CD on the same ide interface that one of your
> > > disc? A Acer 32x CD-ROM? (If yes, I have a very probable candidate...:)
> >
> > Yes. I have a swap partition on the secondary master, and the CD-ROM
> > is the secondary slave.
> >
> > The drive in question is as follows:
> >
> > hdd: Pioneer CD-ROM ATAPI Model DR-A14S 0104, ATAPI CDROM drive
> >
> > > (Look for syslog about "Lost interrupt", well, if you have the /var/log
> > > dir in another interface)
> >
> > /var/log is on the primary master, but nothing was logged. At the
> > time of the crash, my system had not hit swap, so the secondary master
> > had not been touched either.
> >

> Jens, it is possible that this happens for the same problem I've seen?
> If Andrew's system was trying to swap, and the CD goes berserk like
> mine, all things touching the VM will go to D state forever... what do
> you think?

No, I don't think this is related. You've seen processes entering the
D state because of problems with your drive+ide-cd. I think there
was/is a thread here that dealt with D state processes in 2.2.0?
If you do a ps axl you'll see where they are stuck.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer