Re: kernel-2.2.0

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:46:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, H. Jia wrote:

> Hello, Sir/Madam:
>
> I downloded and compiled the new linux kernel v2.2.0 successfully. But
> when I reboot my machine with the new kenel (on a flopy disk, generated by
> make zdisk command), the booting process stops at the following message:
>
> kernel panic: VFS: Could nor mount root fs...
>
> I don't know what wrong with it. Can any one help me?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jia

Use rdev to set the root file-system. Here is a shell-script that
I use to make a boot floppy . This assumes that you do a `make bzImage`
first from the /usr/src/linux distribution tree.

#
# This puts a bootable image on the floppy disk using the presently
# mounted root fils-system as the root filesystem.
# Created 21-JAN-1995 Richard B. Johnson
#
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /tmp/vmlinux
ROOTDEV=`df / | cut -d ' ' -f1 | sed -e1d`
echo -n 'Setting root device as ' ; echo ${ROOTDEV}
rdev -R /tmp/vmlinux 1
rdev /tmp/vmlinux ${ROOTDEV}
cp /tmp/vmlinux /dev/fd0
psupdate

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.