Re: /usr/include/linux vs. /usr/src/linux/include/linux

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:02:21 +0100

On 25 Jan 99, at 10:36, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Hi Ulrich,
>
> The distribution shouldn't have such a /usr/include/linux symlink at
> all.
>
> Files for the target computer (most of the files) should not use any
> files in /usr/include at all. You can almost build the kernel with
> "-nostdinc", except that some files do #include <stdarg.h>, which lives
> in a gcc-lib directory rather than /usr/include. If someone could handle
> that issue, I think "-nostdinc" would be a good thing; it would catch
> some dumb #include errors.

Michael,

you are right: I was unaware that <linux/something.h> used by kernel
parts does not access /usr/include, but /usr/src/.../include.

> Files to be built on the host, such as scripts/mkdep.c, are ordinary
> userland C apps. They can also #include <linux/*.h> files to get at
> structures definitions, but because of the "-I" flags, these will
> get resolved out of /usr/src/linux/include with no need for a
> symlink.
>
> Michael

Ulrich
P.S. My apologies to the list