Re: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:50:47 +0100

david parsons wrote:
> One of the nice strengths of Unix is that it's basically an ad-hoc
> system, blissfully free of some of the worst excesses of industry and
> academia.

One of the ugly weaknesses of Unix is that because it's basically an ad
hoc system, it suffers from numerous, overly complex, inefficient and
often inadequate security mechanisms (which themselves are ad hoc
answers to security problems with other ad hoc solutions).

> Windows NT is a `clean, modern, well-designed OS'

Windows is an abomination in the eyes of an OS designer. It's big, it's
dumb, it's ugly and it always needs some extra stitches to hold it
together... I guess one could call it The Frankenstein's Monster:-)

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si