Re: UW7 crash(1) and pread(2)/pread64(2) under iBCS

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:56:47 +0200 (EET)

Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM> wrote:
> Hello again Mike,
>
> I now have my doubts too. In fact, more than doubts. The pread()/pwrite()
> which are currently (2.2.0-pre8 I know it is ancient...) in Linux are
> wrong.

Not so ``ancient'' in this regard. That interface hasn't changed
for quite a while.

> ... Most of the required (by Single UNIX v2) error checking is missing.

Right. I will have a look as a part of my LFS(*) patches.
The kernel interface is in fact pread64()/pwrite64() even though not
*named* so, thus the difference in between user-space calls of pread()
and pread64() is library issue.

Perhaps the iBCS needs some carefull updating ?

> Also, in write() the use of struct inode * inode makes things tidier than
> not using it in pwrite(). So, that can be tidied up as well.

Well, marginally.

> Regards,
> ------
> Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com
> Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
> Santa Cruz Operation Ltd | http://www.aivazian.demon.co.uk

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

(*) ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/