Re: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
25 Jan 1999 00:30:39 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.HPP.3.91.990121142146.308A-100000@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>,
Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu> wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Steven Roberts wrote:
>
>> "Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:
>>
>> > If someone with great vision and design skills wants to create a
>> > new API for Linux, we should seriously consider such a proposal.
>
> That is IMHO a bad idea. Linux, because it follows the
>traditional Unix monolithic kernel model, is already so obsolete that it
>really isn't worth putting serious time into incompatible API
>improvements.

.
.
.

>we all can dump 25+ years of accumulated Unix API
>brokenness and move on to a clean, modern, well-designed OS.

This comment has `SECOND SYSTEM SYNDROME' written all over it in
_bright red_ marker.

One of the nice strengths of Unix is that it's basically an ad-hoc
system, blissfully free of some of the worst excesses of industry and
academia. The lack of any good replacement for Unix (and not for
lack of trying either) may not be proof positive that Unix is the
best you can get, but it's certainly compelling evidence that `clean,
modern, well-designed OS'es' aren't.

Windows NT is a `clean, modern, well-designed OS', for heavens sake,
and it's already gotten more crufty than Unix is after 25+ plus
years.

Shoot, most of the cruft in a modern Unix system is 25 years worth
of clunky user-space apps that have become the byteware equivalent
of the holy scripture. If you want a clean, modern, well-designed
OS, take an ax to THAT stuff.

____
david parsons \bi/ If you want to better Unix, work on things that Unix
\/ doesn't do and leave the things that Unix does alone.