Re: glibc-2.0.110/111, apmd3.0beta4, & 2.2.0-final

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
23 Jan 1999 22:55:08 -0800

Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au> writes:

> I don't want to modify any of the parent variables. All I want to do
> is dup2() and close() FDs. So Unix98 says this is verboten?

It's not verboten but left undefined.

The vfork() function has the same effect as fork(), except
that the behaviour is undefined if the process created by
vfork() either modifies any data other than a variable of type
pid_t used to store the return value from vfork(), or returns
from the function in which vfork() was called, or calls any other
function before successfully calling _exit() or one of the
exec family of functions.