Re: glibc-2.0.110/111, apmd3.0beta4, & 2.2.0-final

Avery Pennarun (apenwarr@worldvisions.ca)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:25:35 -0500

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 05:56:31PM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> "Garst R. Reese" <reese@isn.net> writes:
>
> > When I do that I get two messages [104] [105] about apmd exiting.
> > Seems to be a vfork problem. When I remove the vfork code from
> > 2.2.0-final by reversing the change in entry.S, all goes well.
>
> This could be what I warned about right from the beginning of the
> vfork discussion: incorrectly written code. Look through the sources
> and examine whether vfork is used according to the limitations (no
> return from the function calling vfork, only _exit or exec called).

Hmm, you're right, I don't know why vfork() was used here, since some stdio
calls are made from both tasks afterwards.

The next version of apmd, which I will release in a few minutes, will
correct this problem.

http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/apmd/

Thanks,

Avery