Re: NFS client write out corrupted file?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 02:43:07 -0800 (PST)

On 6 Jan 1999, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> I have tested 2.2.0-pre4 against my test case with the Solaris server,
> sadly it is still giving me the same corruption error.

It seems that you missed the discussion we had on some lists where we
found out that the problem appears to be the Solaris server, and that Sun
actually has a patch available for this (apparently not for Solaris-2.5.1,
but just about every other modern version of Solaris has a patch, except
for Solaris-7 which doesn't need it).

> The interesting thing is the test code only produces file corruption on one
> of the nfs partition but not others on the same nfs server. The corruption
> occurs with a part of a 4K page shifted by 3 bytes. It seems like something
> is wrong in sunrpc where the marshalled data on the wire is wrongly aligned
> on 4 bytes boundary.

Actually, it appears fine on the wire, this particular problem seems to be
due to Solaris getting a "merge adjacent packets" case wrong when the
merge happens to cross a 8kB boundary and the data payload of the first
packet is not divisible by four..

Linus