Re: Max memory again

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:08:31 +0100

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 03:58:58PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:
> > As said, you don't need full understanding. sed
> > s/0x.0000000/NEWVAL/ will do the job.
>
> Not if NEWVAL is a variable that depends on the user's selection, as
> it does in my patch - unless the relevant configuration script tweaks
> that file as well as creating .config which none of the existing
> configuration scripts do...

It will need a little bit of shell-script and/or Makefile magic, but I don't
see any problem to call sed from a Makefile to change the vmlinux.lds to do
the right thing.
Basically it's something like

new_val = $(shell cat ../include/linux/autoconf.h|grep CONFIG_MAXMEM| sed s/CONFIG_MAXMEM = \(0x?00000000\)/\1/ | sed /^#/d)

vmlinux.lds: ../include/linux/autoconf.h
<TAB> sed s/0x?0000000/$new_val/ <vmlinux.lds >vmlinux.new
<TAB> mv vmlinux.lds vmlinux.old
<TAB> mv vmlinux.new vmlinux.lds

in the arch/i386/Makefile.

Maybe somebody will dislike the need for sed and grep to built a kernel.
Well, a perl or a TCL script could do as well ...

> With my patch, the relevant option allows the user to set any
> hexadecimal digit in the range 4 through D as the replacement for the
> dot in your example, but there's no simple means to reflect that value
> into vmlinux.lds that I'm aware of, hence my query in this respect. I
> never did see your answer to that query, so if you could repeat it,
> it'd be much appreciated...

Nice. I didn't pick up your patch last time, so maybe you can send it to me?
(Don't CC: to l-kernel ...)
I will make the vmlinux.lds thing work.

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de>                           [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing              [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]