Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 05:50:51 +0300 (MSK)

In <199901050108.CAA15241@oboe.it.uc3m.es> Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es) wrote:
PB> As to yast, I thought it was available for free outside of suse. Not
PB> that I've looked and that's only half remembered. But it certainly puts
PB> redhats install utility to shame. It looks fairly easy to "copy" ..
PB> it's three windows. I'll have a look.

YaST is not free software. And I'm definitely not want to have such software
as heart of my system.

PB> And I certainly agree that you can get interesting system info from
PB> knowing if we're in glibc or libc country. But why should we make linux
PB> a special case. sparc-sun-solaris2.6 (or whatever) is fine for solaris,
PB> irix, aix, ... and I'd be very happy with ia32-redhat-linux5.2.

There are difference: there are just a few current versions of solaris, aix,
irix, etc. But there are HUNDREDS of linux distributions. ia32-linux-lsb1.0
will be Ok, ia32-redhat-linux5.2 is not...

PB> It would help me a lot preparing my software. I can get the libc or glibc
PB> info with autoconf. But I can't make autoconf read the manual for the
PB> distribution in question so that I can figure where to put the
PB> components of the software. I need the redhat-linux5.2 bit for that.

No. You need LSB-compatibility for that.

PB> It doesn't matter what the FS standard says.

It IS matter. If FHS (LSB when LSB will be ready) says one thing and in real
distribution there are other then then DISTRIBUTION should be fixed. Just like
POSIX: if something in Linux kernel works against the POSIX this means that
kernel should be changed, not POSIX.

PB> The facts of the distribution are what matter. That's what the software
PB> has to conform to.

Software should be LSB-compatible. That's all. This is the only possible
solution for creating software without creating hundred versions for each
and every distribution...