Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3100

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
05 Jan 1999 01:24:28 +0100

In article <199901042317.RAA16444@duracef.shout.net>,
Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> writes:
> CONFIG_RTNETLINK is one of those muddled options that sometimes can
> be turned by a user, and sometimes turned on automatically. This leads
> to confusion and incoherent configuration values.

Why is it incoherent? If the user did not choose some feature, but it is turned
on anyways because of some dependency noone is hurt. I can see no negative
effects.

> Andi, I would like to change the Config.in files so that nothing turns
> on CONFIG_RTNETLINK automatically. If the user selects it, then they
> have access to advanced IP routing and other things that depend o nit.
> If the user doesn't select it, then they don't.

That sounds error prone. Real users don't real manuals. They want some feature
(e.g. policy routing) and for them that rtnetlink is needed to configure it is
just some implemention detail that they shouldn't have to (and needn't) care
about.

Will you answer all the questions about it on l-k and the newsgroups?

-Andi