Re: ASUS CD ROM 340 & 2.1.129+ dont work but work fine with 2.0.35+

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:03:41 -0800

Jens Axboe wrote:

> > In other words the DOS driver contains some workarounds for the faults with
> > the drive. Given running that first then booting Linux works, it would be
> > a reasonable guess from your previous observations that this driver fakes a CD
> > change or similar to fix the drive problem.
>
> This is the second drive that has been reported to have this abnormal
> behavior. I'll be back in a couple of days and see if we can't get a
> decent workaround for this hardware bug.

well, I've got a Wearnes 32x CD, that works fine under 2.0.xx, but only
works as pure cdrom drive under 2.1.xx (no audio, no eject, no extra
features - but you can still mount it and read iso9660 filesystems)

In fact, you get no messages out of the kernel about it - it fails when
you try to query the drive for it's configuration.

IMHO, the ide-cd driver shouldn't ever just silently fail, but give some
reason for returning without setting anything..