Re: GPF + Oops in 2.2.0-pre4

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:38:44 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Kurt Huwig wrote:

> This happens when I want to switch off my computer by APM. I pressed
> Alt+SysReq+O (after using "poweroff" which did nothing). It is 100%
> reproducible.
>
> With Win95, it works, so what's wrong?

Your BIOS is what is wrong. Apparently the BIOS protected mode interface
is really a "Windows interface" and doesn't follow the rules: when Linux
calls into it with a different segment setup than Windows does, the BIOS
gets confused and does something illegal.

> EIP: 0050:[<00008931>]

The above is the thing that gives it away - segment 0050 is the APM code
segment. We've called into the BIOS asking it to power off, and the BIOS
screwed up. We have no control over it, the only thing you can really do
is (a) disable APM or (b) get an updated and fixed BIOS for your machine.

Linus