Re: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel

Craig Sanders (cas@vicnet.net.au)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:49:04 +1100

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 01:11:52AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> : GNU own a very small proportion of the code we run, on the whole,
> : but what they do own comprises a great many of the most fundamental
> : and universal components of a system.
>
> Such as? The only substantial chunk is gcc and that isn't part of the
> operating system.

well, apart from glibc and gcc, gasm, cpp, ld and other compilation
tools there are also bash, shellutils, fileutils, findutils, textutils,
gnu m4, gnu make, gnu awk, and gnu sed that i can think of off the top
of my head.

these tools constitute the bulk of a basic unix system (a unix system
may have more tools than these, but they won't/shouldn't have any less),
and they're all FSF/GNU programs developed as part of the GNU system...

....and that's exactly stallman's point - the GNU system existed long
before the linux kernel did. When Linux came along, the only thing
missing from GNU was a free kernel. Linux filled that gap, resulting
instantly in a complete, free operating system.

GNU is the system, Linux is the kernel. GNU/Linux is the GNU system
running on a Linux kernel.

(similarly, GNU/Hurd will mean the GNU system running an a HURD kernel)

as for your comments about rms acting like a 'twit' or a 'two year old
child', i think you should look at your own behaviour and blinkered
comments on this issue before pointing the finger at anyone else.

craig

--
Craig Sanders
Systems Administrator