Re: VM: Linus versus ArcA on kernel compiles in 64MB

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.geo.uu.nl)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 00:05:36 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:

> On the other hand, Linus's version also swaps out at least 2
> MB on doing wc /usr/bin/* to make room for worthless page cache
> pages. This may be a good thing... Perhaps it only goes up the
> "right" amount of swap and then stops. However, some pieces of
> netscape needed to be swapped back in afterwards, which I think
> should not happen. Perhaps that is the best that we can do with
> only 1 bit of age information?

I haven't really kept up with the source lately, but
maybe we want to mark pages referenced on swap_out()
so that we don't free the swap cache ages on the
first pass and page cache pages are put at a slight
disadvantage...

(and we also want to do that on readahead, but we
probably already do that)

cheers,

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?