Re: Can and should the kernel HZ value be changed?

Florian Lohoff (flo@rfc822.org)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 11:18:07 +0100

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 12:12:16AM -0500, Jeff Millar wrote:
> >CD. I presume that there are good reasons to keep HZ at it's present value, but
> >I'd like to find out more about it. Can anyone point me to more information or
> >perhaps a previous discussion of this subject?
> >
> The timer value could scale upward with CPU performance, assuming it's limited
> by overhead. Given that performance goes up 10X every 5 years and that the
> x86 kernels have used 100 Hz for at least that long, we're due for an
> increase.

This shouldnt be true for CONFIG_I386 or something. I agree for
current desktop systems like K6/>=200 and other compareable
processors. This should maybe be bound to the CPU selection and/or
seperatly configurable.

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)