Re: TCPv4 bad checksums

Sun, 3 Jan 1999 04:35:35 +0000

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 03:26:52PM -0800, Damon Buckwalter wrote:
> I would suspect the Ascend Pipeline. I'm connected through PPP to an
> Ascend MAX 4048, and used to experience TCP checksum errors. Someone
> (see below) suggested turning off VanJacobsen compression on my PPP
> link, and that seemed to do the trick. I haven't seen any checksum
> errors since. Just add the 'novj' option to your PPP config files, and
> redial.

I have seen TCP checksum errors from Demon with `novj', so that's not a
solution. They are rarer, though.

I've done the sums by hand, and seen that the raw PPP data (as dumped by
the kernel when PPP debugging is turned on) really does contain invalid
TCP checksums. The IP header checksums are fine.

The erroneous packets I looked at in detail appear to be misrouted to my
machine, too. (I shouldn't be receiving them).

-- Jamie