Re: Difference between 2.0.36 and 2.2.0pre3 ?

Alex Butche (linkern@cocoa.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 19:13:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Dag Wieers wrote:

> i got this strange problem while untarring a complete source-tree.
>
> when i untarred it with a 2.0.36-kernel it took about a minute (what was
> normal) but when i tried to untar it on my 2.2.0-pre3 it took +-5 sec for
> just a couple of files... (i was pretty much bored after a minute, it
> would have been busy for an hour or so) and since the difference was this
> big, it must have been IDE, right ? (all 2.2.0 suffered from the same
> 'delay')
>
> wrong ;) stracing tar pointed out that is got something to do with sockets
> ;/ from some strange (to me) reason it opens a socket (sunrpc ? tar ??) on
> interface lo and repeats this for every +-5 files ;(
> and 2.0.36 didn't show this behaviour, in fact, it does everything exactly
> the same, but it delays less long. (in fact you don't notice it)
>
> iptraf
> ~~~~~~
> ICMP dest unreach (port) from localhost to localhost on lo
> ICMP dest unreach (port) from localhost to localhost on lo
> UDP from localhost:737 to localhost:sunrpc on lo
> UDP from localhost:737 to localhost:sunrpc on lo
> ^^^this behaviour when tar was 'delaying'

You've got NIS configured but your machine is unable to reach a NIS server
to lookup the username of the uid/gid owner as recorded in the tar file.

Deconfigure NIS if you don't need it.

Best Regards,
Alex.