Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:15:16 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> > There really shouldn't be anything like XF86_FBDev - that's just pointless
> > exactly because it doesn't do acceleration.
>
> Not yet.
>
> There is no reason why the FBDev driver should'nt do hardware acceleration
> from userspace like the SVGA Server does today. For some hardware this
> already works, see Geert's mail.

Duh. Colour me unimpressed.

So some crazed FBdev person is going to copy all of the acceleration from
all of the other servers, and make a new "super-server" that does it all,
and call it XF86_FBdev?

Makes complete sense. NOT.

> It more that "just a new option", the initialisation is
> completely different if you are running on top of a Framebuffer device.
> The acceleration code might work without modification.

It _IS_ just an option. That option simply disables all of the
initializations and the cleanup.

And YES, the acceleration and everything else code should work without
changes. Which is exactly my point - why the hell would anybody be so
stupid as to make a XF86_FBdev that does acceleration for all the chips
out there where we ALREADY have that code written and packaged up?

Somebody must be on drugs. Maybe it's me, but quite frankly, your
arguments just don't make sense to me at all.

Linus