Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:58:34 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> This is exactly what XF68_FBDev does.

As I already mentioned, XF86_FBDev does nothing of the sort. It's just a
stupid frame buffer driver.

> The experimental version with hardware acceleration (for NCR77C32BLT, ATI
> Mach64 and IMS Twin Turbo)

So are you going to duplicate all of the other X servers inside the
XF86_FBdev driver? Be my guest, but don't expect me to think very highly
of the project.

I assume this will be a non-issue once XF86 4.0 with loadable acceleration
modules are out, then it's just a matter of just not using the mode setup
code. But again, I don't see why there would be a XF86_FBdev at all even
then.

Linus