Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@goldbach.in-berlin.de)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 17:28:02 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > >
> > > But I really think that it should be easy to tell X not to switch modes,
> > > and just tell it hat mode it is in.
> >
> > Already done. The Server is XF86_FBDev, and it is part of XFree86 3.3.3
> > (althrouth it is'nt compiled by default and therefore not included in
> > binary releases, probably becauce you need 2.1.x kernel headers to
> > compile it).
>
> No, it is NOT already done.
>
> As you yourself admit, it has no acceleration, and as such it is pretty
> useless for people who really care.
>
> There really shouldn't be anything like XF86_FBDev - that's just pointless
> exactly because it doesn't do acceleration.

Not yet.

There is no reason why the FBDev driver should'nt do hardware acceleration
from userspace like the SVGA Server does today. For some hardware this
already works, see Geert's mail.

> There should be a generic option in the video setup section that just
> tells all the normal X servers that they shouldn't worry about setting
> up the mode, because it has already been done for them. That way
> people with a Matrox board just use the Matrox X server, and they get
> full advantage of the board they have.

For newer boards (like matrox) which use the XFree86 XAA Architecture it
might be easier make SVGA Server framebuffer aware instead of adding
acceleration support for these boards to the FBDev Server. I'm currently
looking into this...

It more that "just a new option", the initialisation is
completely different if you are running on top of a Framebuffer device.
The acceleration code might work without modification.

Gerd