Re: 2.2.0-pre1 & proxy arp

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
01 Jan 1999 20:49:13 +0100

In article <19981231135534W.oe1kib@saturn>,
kudielka@ieee.org (Klaus Kudielka) writes:
> Hello,
> making proxy arp entries for entire subnets doesn't work with 2.2.0-pre1.
> I use that feature regularly with 2.0.
> The net-tools-1.49 arp doesn't display any error message, but the entry
> is not created.

> A quick look at arp_req_set() in net/ipv4/arp.c:

> ---
> if (r->arp_flags&ATF_PUBL) {
> u32 mask = ((struct sockaddr_in *) &r->arp_netmask)->sin_addr.s_addr;
> if (mask && mask != 0xFFFFFFFF)
> return -EINVAL;
> ---

> Ok, it seems that support has been dropped.

> Question: WHY ???

The feature was dropped during the ARP code rewrite because it was considered
obscure enough to not warrant the special case code it needs. Back
then nobody complained so it was dropped.

Maybe the users should participate more in the development cycle...Now it is
too late. If someone wants it seriously he should contribute a patch.

-Andi