Re: 2.2.0pre1 OOPS on boot. (Linus Torvalds)

Stephen E. Clark (seclark@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 22:46:57 -0500

menion,

I am currently using a Cyrix 686MX200 and so far it works great by
setting the config option in the kernel build to 686. What Linus is
talking about doing is making optimizations that would only work if you
had a 686 chip that supported rdtsc, otherwise you would have say you
had a 486 in the config option, which would cause you lose some of the
advantages that your Cyrix 686 has.

My point is I don't wish to see Linux favor one particular chip over
another, the way Microsoft Web publisher uses by default certain
capabilities that only exist in Internet Explorer.

steve