Re: OOPS problems

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:50:09 +1100

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:59:14 +0000 (GMT),
Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>One apparently obvious means to do so would be to have a 'kernel log
>level' for OOPS messages, and let the kernel logging system deal with
>it. Since this hasn't been done, I would assume there's something
>wrong with this idea, so perhaps somebody can advise me what?

Oops are already logged to kernel log. But if klogd or syslogd are not
running then the Oops never gets written to disk. Alas this occurs all
too often. Mind you, the real problem is that users do not read
Documentation/oops-tracing.txt. I don't think that there is a
programming solution for that :(.