Re: cyrix detection still a bit porked in 2.2.0-pre1

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
30 Dec 1998 13:44:06 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.36890457.E00D1C23@quark.vpplus.com>,
Brian Gerst <bgerst@quark.vpplus.com> wrote:
>Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> > I did all exactly as the guidance of the README. I seemed that
>> > all had passed the configuration, compilation and the installation.
>> > However, when I restart my computer (Pentium II-300, Memory=256M),
>> > I found that there are two problems remained as follows:
>> >
>> > (1) The usable maxmum Memory is not 256M, but 64M.
>>
>> Meaning you need to pass "mem=256M" to the boot command line to make it
>> see all of RAM ?
>
>Isn't 2.1.x supposed to auto detect > 64MB RAM? I know 2.0.36 can.

I think it's 2.1.x {x>37} -- that's the point where I submitted
the patches to Linus.

There will still be boxes that it won't work on (Compaq EISA boxes,
which cheerfully return "I've got 16mb of memory" to ANY of the
published bios memory size calls, and some HP notebooks -- the
5700CTX in particular -- which don't support anything except for
int 13, 088h) even if you do get a 2.1 kernel that has the
memory patch.

____
david parsons \bi/ Cheesy kernel patches -R- us.
\/