Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3070

Kernel Admin User (krnuser@temic-ech.spacenet.de)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:04:31 +0100

Hallo Linus,

> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:04:26 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: 2.2.0 Bug summary
>
> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 linux@microsoft.sucks.eu.org wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > o isdn4linux is old not CVS version. Basically unusable. If its
> > > not changing for 2.2.0 it should be commented out or deleted
> >
> > It should be updated - a lot of people (especially in Europe) absolutely
> > depend on ISDN support.
>
> It's not going to happen for 2.2.0.
>
> I haven't been getting timely patches from the ISDN people, and if they
> can't be bothered to send me patches, I can't be bothered to care.

I know ..., but I was too busy in past to fix some strong things. :-(
My mean problem is that the latest kernel don't work stable enough with my
equipment, the last really stable was 109 or so, long time ago.
With 132 (latest I tried) and 125,126,127,130 I got "Unknown interrupt" and the
system is unusable (2.0.36 and 2.1.109 runs without problems).

The "Unknown interrupt" message occurs randomly, but I can't compile the
whole kernel without getting it.

My system:
Gigabyte 586DX with 2 586 MMX 233 MHz (SMP)
Adaptec WIDE SCSI onboard
ELSA OFFICE (Permedia 2) graphic card
ISDN cards :-)

I will try 2.2 pre this evening, but if anybody has ideas about my problem,
please drop me a note.

> Maybe making a 2.2.0 with non-working ISDN will make somebody wake up, at
> this point I cannot care less any more. There is NO way the huge ISDN
> change set will make it into 2.2.0.

Thats not good, but OK.

Will you accept patches, which are not perfect now and have some ugly parts
in the moment (works not on all architectures, dummy code), but make ISDN
working for most cases ?

Karsten