Re: small addition to keyboard driver propose with patch

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:26:37 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Stanislav V. Voronyi wrote:

> But since the full translation never (or very rarely) needed

In fact it will always contain no more than 256 characters.

> But I prefer add one another TIOCLINUX ioctl for setting translation
> table by user which will contain all Unicode symbols needed for him &
> never switch it.

You mean to list all the Unicodes that would be ever used? I can't see the
purpose...

BTW: It's very inconvenient that one can't easily check whether the
console is in UTF-8 mode. The only method I know is to output some test
characters and look how much did the cursor moved. It has disadvantages:
ugly, alters the streen contents. and, most important, requires to flush
the terminal input (to read the cursor position)! The same applies to
checking which of the four maps is active (yes, I needed this in one
tool). I would appreciate a better method - maybe some ioctl, as for
reading the actual map contents. Still don't know what about xterms etc.
- how should they tell if it's UTF-8 or that one can switch to UTF-8.

> The existing screen buffer contain not from screen glyphs only. It
> also keep screen atributes. So the best way imho not using unicode
> buffer instead of screen, but add Unicode buffer as additional to
> existing one.

Maybe. I'm not sure which would be easier.

> In this case we have no troubles with existing /dev/vcs* interface,

What to put into the Unicode buffer when someone writes into /dev/vcs*?

> In case we have an unicode selection buffer we can add another
> additional ioctl call that allow get/set to/from user space contain of
> selection buffer. Using this ioctl cut/paste between textual console &
> Xwindows screen will be also possible.

Yes, I was surprised that gpm did't work this way (checked today). But
with the current implementation gpm doesn't need to care about Unicode or
other modes...

Isn't sufficient to make unicoded /dev/vcs*? gpm could read this. But
AFAIK the other end is missing - now it can't paste arbitrary data into
the "keyboard".

--
 __("<    Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://kki.net.pl/qrczak/