Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:39:10 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Matthias Andree wrote:
> when using Linux 2.1.132-ac3 (sorry, I cannot compile 2.2.0pre1 yet, I
> need to obtain some patches first) with matrox acceleration for the
> G-200 enabled, everything seems fine until X and kdm start, which
> results in the lower third of the screen blanked, nicely on a line
> boarder as if it was intended to be only 700 or 800 lines tall, but it
> seems to work. X is fine without matrox acceleration. Now, whose fault
> is it? Is the matrox G100/200 acceleration driver messing in an
> improper way or does XFree86 lack some initialisation.
>
> Matrox Millennium G-200 AGP w/ 8 MB SDRAM
> VIA MVP3 board (Tyan Trinity S1590B)
> XF86 SVGA server 3.3.3 (binary libc5 copy from XFree86 mirror)

Running X servers that are not frame buffer device aware while using frame
buffer devices may cause unexpected results. The only solution is to integrate
the XFree86 MGA acceleration into XF{68,86}_FBDev, as was already done for
ATI Mach64 acceleration:

http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/bin/xc-3.3.3-geert-19981210.diff.gz

Greetings,

Geert