Re: 2.1.131 size limitations.

Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:18:10 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > It appears as though mke2fs will not allow operation on a partition
> > that exceeds about 3++ gigabytes. It errors out with "illegal request"
> > messages.
>
> I've made a 72gig ext2fs with 2.1.131. Are you sure its not a drive or setup
> problem

Looks like a too-old mke2fs. It has llseek problems (verified after some
info from others). fdisk looks okay. Also making 3 partitions works okay,
just had to keep the seek-size down. I will get another set of fs tools.

> > It also appears as though mkswap will not allow a swap partition in
> > excess of about 128 megabytes.
>
> You need a newer mkswap + 2.1.x to use big swap files.

Will do. Thanks.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).