Re: "ps" has no option for displaying all processes on the system

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:50:19 -0500 (EST)

Thomas Wouters writes:

> This isnt a kernel issue though, strictly userspace. I think you
> could port SysV ps if you wanted (minus a few features, --possibly.)

Arrgh! There is a Linux ps that does SysV and more.

Not being a kernel issue, I don't want to spam linux-kernel with it.
How can I get the message out though? Really, you don't have to suffer
with a BSDish ps any longer.

http://www.cs.uml.edu/~acahalan/linux/procps-981104.tar.gz

It does everything:
ps -ef
ps auxt
ps -o "%p %P %c"
ps --sort fsuid,ppid,nice --format fsuid,pid,ppid,nice,cmd
ps ax -H --cols 999 -n /usr/src/linux/System.map ce -U root,joe,bill

I really need people to abuse this ps, but obviously I didn't get the
message out very well. Slashdot didn't consider it news, and Freshmeat
already has the stable BSDish version.

You also get Unix98 pty support, real-time signal support, and an output
format that is easy to parse with scripts.

Without testers though, I'll never know if anyone can crash it.
I'll never know if it is ready for a Linux distribution.