Re: List newbie existential doubts

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:25:46 +0300 (MSK)

29-Dec-98 14:40 you wrote:
> First of all, hello and greetings to everybody in this much honorable
> list. Now let's get down to business. :)

> I just noticed that 2.0.36 explicitly complains about gcc 2.8.x and
> requires a patch in order to be compiled by this gcc version. I took a
> look at the patch source and saw all the changes have something to do
> with assembly/machine-specific directive syntax changes and the like. It
> also has an ominous warning about the changes not having been tested.

> I already applied the patch and put everything to work, no problem. I
> just got squeamish about that warning. What could go wrong? Or can I
> sleep well at night? The machine in question is our ISP's proxy server.

There are dirty tricks in asm parts of i[3456]86 linux kernel. Since gcc 2.8.x
(and egcs) are more agressive with optimization this could lead to VERY
strange behaviour sometimes. There are NO plans to make kernel 2.0.x
gcc 2.8.x/egcs-safe. For 2.2 this goal is declared but even there some
problems still not solved. In short: if you really want to sleep well at
night use gcc 2.7.2.3, not 2.8.x or egcs even if for A LOT OF peoples patch
works Ok.

P.S. Usually problems are with X and thus will not affect your proxy server but
who knows ?