Re: ASUS CD ROM 340 & 2.1.129+ dont work but work fine with 2.0.35+

Zoran Davidovac (zdavid@afrodita.rcub.bg.ac.yu)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:12:50 +0100 (CET)

please read very carefully or you don't read at all :)

hm i 've done some lot lot more testing and it's very very strange
not drive,drive is 100% ok :)

boots perfect in 2.0.35+ (sometimes reset drive)
halt in 2.1.129+

interesting is that workaround to boot in linux 2.1.129+
now it is enought to go in CLEAN dos 7.10 (win95 osr2)
on hard disk and then boot in linux with loadlin .

(By CLEAN dos I meant dos without ANY drivers=without
config.sys and autoexec.com ! )

this 'trick' just wont work if I try boot from floppy same dos 7.1
then loadlin .

Sounds very very stupid but that the way it is !

if you did'n noticed:
ASUS CD ROM 340 SUPPORT UDMA (my board do not suport udma, old vx)
and CD DRIVE work with every atapi driver in dos !

BTW I am sure that this is not hardware bug
if you still thinks so PLEASE read my first letter again !

in 2.0.35+ boots straight !
in 2.1.129+ halts when booted straight
but when I enter in clean dos (not needed atapi driver nor mscdex)
and do loadlin I can boot in 2.1.132 !

Again I repeat that work only from hard disk not floppy, and the
problem is only with kernel 2.1.129+ as I said with
2.0.35+ I DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM !

thanks for reading :)

Zoran Davidovac

for more info, tests,