Re: Does this mean it's too late to add a driver for 2.2.0?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:08:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Does this mean it's too late to add the conjoint Qlogic ISP SCSI/FC
> driver? It's in pre-test for 2.1.X now but hasn't gotten the Sparc/SBUS
> support folded in yet (will 2.2.X have UltraPenguin folded in)?

It's never too late for drivers, but basically I think it's too late for
2.2.0.

New drivers will have no problem getting folded into any stable series,
but for my own sanity I'm not accepting them to the .0 release any more.
There's just some point where you have to put your foot down, and this is
it. Whenever it is (unless it is "never") people will complain about
something.

I want the remaining patches before a real 2.2.0 to be _only_ about
stability (possibly with the exception of the old vma code that Alan
reminded me about - it's certainly been tested to death as it is actually
a case of re-introducing old code rather than any real new code).

Linus