Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:02:47 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> I was puzzled by all this talk of problems with coax, but now I
> understand. My hit rate with *factory-built* coax cables is 100% so far.
> I haven't yet seen a BNC connector that I'd risk using if I had to
> assemble it myself. (Now if they made *solderable* BNC plugs....)

Actually I have several Solderable BNC connectors. I got them from a
laboratory supply company (O-Scope parts etc.) They are the same as coax
network connectors (ever wonder where they came from..) I will try to dig
up the source for them as I know I have seen them recently (maybe Mouser
electronics or so)

> I trust those big hunks of shiny nickelplated metal much more than the
> sleazy plastic RJ45s. But to each his own. They both have their places.

Yep - Especially when running draped over flourescent fixtures in
industrial envirionments...

> --
> Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
> Innovation is only valuable if it improves one's life; otherwise it's
> just one more silly change to cope with.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha NE 68104