Re: Pot-Smoking Quote of the Day (fwd)

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:53:50 -0400

"Mark H. Wood" <mwood@IUPUI.Edu> said:
> I think something that a lot of computer pundits haven't figured out yet
> is that what they see in the Open Source community is equivalent to being
> on all the executive mailing lists at Microsoft *plus* attending all the
> product engineering meetings. They might, however, have been clued in by
> that "build 1361" or whatever that pops up on the NT boot screen. Linux
> 2.2 has gone through one tenth the number of developmental versions that
> NT 4.0 did to reach release, not thirty times as many. Over a thousand
> attempts were so unsatisfactory that they never saw the light of day.

I understand they use(d) to build the latest snapshot each night... that
would fit for some 4 years of development.

> Ask yourselves, O pundits, what your chances would be of ever seeing Build
> 1 of Windows 2000 -- and what such a glimpse would be worth to you.

I'd suspect it will be something like build 2000 of WinNT ;-)

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616