Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:23:28 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Zack Brown wrote:

> If Richard Stallman gets mad at the linux community for not using the term
> gnu/linux and decides to release a new version of the GPL that undoes its
> current meaning (and e.g. allows proprietary forking etc), thus affecting

Hmmm ... Just paranoia in my opinion.

> all programs currently licenced under the GPL, what could anyone do about
> that? And please don't say, "oh, he would *never* do something like that."

If I were in his boots, it would only depends on how much money IBM and
others will give me for doing that. ;-)

The first GNU/X/Linux package I have used was from Yggdrasil.
It was named GNU/X/Linux or something like that. Such a complex name
has no chance to succeed on the market place, in my opinion.
It is painfull to write it and about impossible to pronounce it in any
language. In fact, you need to spell it at any time you want to speek of
it, or just only write about it by email. :-)

The GPL does not seem to require packages based on GNU/GPL software to
contain a reference to either GNU or GPL in their product name.
Perhaps something like Pinksock/Linux (Copyright Gerard Roudier 1998)
should have been a better commercial name for the Yggdrasil O/S. :-)
Note the play of words for a system that is often used in network based
applications. :-)

To be serious, all the debates about the right name of GNU/X/Linux
O/S packages seem to me off-topic at the linux-kernel development list.
The kernel is a separate component of the O/S that is not part of either
the GNU project or the X project, as we know. Its name 'Linux' is just
fine.
People who want O/Ses based on GNU and Linux to contain such references in
their product name should address their complaints to O/S packagers that
use these components in their products.

By the way, at least in France, it seems that linux users refer to Linux
based O/Ses using just 'Redhat', 'Caldera', 'Suse', etc ... as product
name. Frustrating, isn't it ? ;-)

Happy New Year!

Regards,
Gerard.