Re: MTU/MRU, always-defrag, masq not working for some URLs

Fuzzy Fox (fox@dallas.net)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:22:04 -0600

Tom Oehser <tom@toms.net> wrote:

> I'll let you know when I have tcpdumps that clarify the exactitude,
> what I've posted so far is useless as far as really digging into it.

If it's the problem described by others here, about MRU Path Discovery,
you may not see anything at all in the tcpdumps.

The reason would be that it is your PPP link which is denying the DF
(don't fragment) packets, and since they don't make it over to your side
of the link, you won't see them. The other side of your link, the
terminal server, should send back the ICMP message, but if it doesn't
reach the far host, you'll never know why the problem is happening.

You'll have to work with your ISP to see this behavior.

--
   fox@dallas.net (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."