Re: slow decay of GRE tunnel over several hours

Stuart Lynne (sl@whiskey.fireplug.net)
25 Dec 1998 23:01:04 GMT

In article <199812232218.OAA01437@Midnight.Hacking.in.the.land.of.Kalifornia.com>,
David <david@kalifornia.com> wrote:
>Synopsis: over approximately 6-12 hours, a GRE ipip tunnel decays,
>silently failing when transmitting packets.

I'm having troubles with IPIP tunnels under both 2.1.131 and 2.1.132
being used as a router for a small network via a cable modem connection.

Just configuring a tunnel for use and turning it on causes the system
to get into a state where (some) the latency of packets through the
router router to very close sites go from 15ms to 1000ms after about 1-2 hours.

Latency times from the router don't seem to be affected. So this may be
an interaction with masquerading.

Latency of other packets also seems to be affected. For example reading
news from one of the sites that had highly increased ping times was very slow.

The tunnel is not actually in use yet (i.e. the other end is not up,
we are not attempting to route any packets through it and ifconfig
shows RX and TX at zero).

I can't see any apparant signs anything wrong (other than the increased
latency to some sites). Doesn't appear to running out of memory.

There is nothing showing up in the system log files. Nothing seems to
be amiss in the firewall logging.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@fireplug.net>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68