Re: /dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?

jens@pinguin.conetix.de
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 01:30:48 +0100

On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 05:44:47PM -0600, Jason Burrell wrote:

>>> I suggest we implement a /dev/calculator, so everyone who needs to solve
>>> an equation can do it just by using cat/echo:
>>> echo 2+3*4 >/dev/calculator
>> What about an X server as a device?
> Personally, I think we ought to code the entire contents of /usr/bin and
> /bin into the kernel. We also need the all known GNU tools in the kernel,
> along with awk, sed, and grep.

# lilo.conf
label = Linux
image = emacs.bin

OK, lets stop this nonsense :P

> Seriously, folks, this is totally ridiculous. (Yes, I realize that

And I almost thought ... :)

> /dev/zero exists so that people can mmap it. It does not exist to

could you email me a (simple - and readable - I've only had C for a couple
months) example on what to accomplish with mmapping /dev/zero?

Or is there one in the kernel souce somewhere?

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de
    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup