Re: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:41:01 +0100

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 11:03:44PM +0100, thomasz@hostmaster.org wrote:

> I suspect that it would be very safe to write random data over a file several times.
> Unfortunately the current /dev/random and /dev/urandom are very slow in generating data. Therefore I would rather like a /dev/frandom for fast, low quality randomness.

In that case there is no more need for the random generator to be part of the
kernel; it much better live in userspace. Checkup the literature about
pseudo random number generators (PRNGs). There are many different ones
available providing different tradeoffs between quality (randomness,
distribution etc.) of the generated numbers, performance, implementation
cost (hardware!). One of the fastest low quality solutions are for example
are shift registers, in their simplest incarnation they're so fast that a
kernel implementation would provide significant overhead.

Ralf