Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

David F. Newman (buzzwang@agamemnon.ourvillage.com)
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:49:35 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Darrin Chandler wrote:

> George,

[snip]
> But I do not think it's a bad thing for FSF/GNU to benefit from the
> popularity of Linux. Linux is a great kernel in very many ways but its
> widespread use has depended hugely on GNU software.

I don't think Linux _depends_ on GNU software. From my point of view
Linux is just the kernel.

If I put together a striped down computer with only the
essentials (motherboard, 3c509, vga) put a linux kernel,
DHCP client, and netscape (or my own browser) on a PCMCIA
memory card and hooked it up to a TV I could call it Linux
WebTV. I don't think GNU/Linux WebTV would be accurate.