Re: [Silliness] Re: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux

Greg Mildenhall (greg@networx.net.au)
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:03:31 +0800 (WST)

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Steve Smith wrote:
> Therefore, I propose a new device: /dev/monkeys. This
> infinite-monkeys simulator will supply all possible combinations of
> strings, and selecting the required one is left to user space
> programs. Elegant, no?
Very elegant indeed, but what about the seek times?
On the positive side, now we can
grep 'UTS_RELEASE "2.2.0"' /dev/monkeys
and stop worrying about all this development rubbish.
Then the whole list could be devoted to useless character devices, futile
patent ideology, and flaming RMS because he dared to defend himself.

-G