Re: CONFIG_PCI_BIOS in 2.1.132

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:15:11 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> I think we should not silently assume we should use the PCI BIOS if the
> user has selected neither PCI BIOS nor PCI direct access. If neither
> is selected, the PCI driver just refuses to compile and tells the user
> he should configure it properly.

I think Alan wanted the patch simply because he wants us to never be able
to generate a bogus config - so that you at config time _know_ that the
compile is going to finish.

I agree with you that just silently defaulting to the PCI BIOS may not be
the right approach either. The "right" approach is probably to allow some
kind of "multi-radio-button" (or whatever they are called by GUI-geeks)
config entry that forces one or more choices on you so that it's basically
impossible to have a PCI config that has no PCI method associated with it.

Linus