Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
22 Dec 1998 05:21:51 +0000

David Feuer <feuer@his.com> writes:
> > Various people AFAIK. Something about graph coloring...
>
> ?????????

Go to www.patents.ibm.com and search for "Chaitin". Gregory Chaitin is
a mathematician at IBM who first discussed register allocation by
graph colouring (a problem which was studied by mathematicians long
ago) and proposed a straightforward algorithm based on this (which is
what the patent is on). His original algorithm can be easily improved;
indeed a group a Rice University (Briggs et al.) have a patent on an
improved version. (Their papers indicate that the work was supported
by the National Science Foundation. I thought work supported by US
government money didn't get patented?)

In order to see the absurdity of software patents for yourself, just
browse IBM's patent database.

Dave Wragg