Re: Should raw I/O be added to the kernel?

Major'Trips' (major@jimco-fwt.com)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:16:56 -0600

Well,
I believe the CodaFS managed to get passed this problem using
the RVM .. Recoverable Virtual Memory. Shrug.

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 10:56:48PM -0800, Ronald Cole wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
> >The only argument for raw disk IO is the caching policy issue
>
> Exactly right. Without raw disk IO, you couldn't guarantee a database
> to always be in a consistent state on the disk (i.e. it isn't very
> desirable to have a committed transaction in a cache when the pc loses
> power). It makes it impossible to recover the database. And what
> good is having a transaction oriented database on Linux in a
> production environment if you can't be guaranteed to recover it after
> a crash?
>
> >From my days at Unify a decade ago, you had to use raw disk IO because
> fsync() wasn't guaranteed to have flushed the cache completely to the
> disk before it returned. Of course, I'll be the first to admit that I
> haven't checked out the kernel source to see if this is true for
> Linux. But, I'm sure that someone will so that the database part of
> this thread can be put to rest.
>
> --
> Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA 93556-1412
> Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
> President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
> My PGP fingerprint: 15 6E C7 91 5F AF 17 C4 24 93 CB 6B EB 38 B5 E5
>
> -

   "Reality is what you can get away with!"
                      ++Robert Anton Wilson
   Major'Trips'
   E-Mail   : shadow@cyberwizards.com || major@jimco-fwt.com