Re: 2.1.131: Poor behavior when VM exhausted

C.J.LAWSON (C.J.Lawson@Cranfield.ac.uk)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:20:47 +0000 (GMT)

I get the same message at the college (Digital UNIX OSF1) ... For me it
usually results in a Netscape core dump....

The bit about having to reset the machine in Linux is the part that
worries me. I remember having too do the same thing when gnuplot locked my
machine solid, for two days!! (I was living in the hope that it will
'recover'). The error then was out memory exhausted (128M + 32M swap) ...
well I was tasking it however, the fact that all other terminals were
inaccessible did bother me a bit ..

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Eric Lee Green wrote:

> Hello all. Has anybody else noticed this? All versions of Netscape
> that I have used have a memory leak in the input box, so I get to test
> what happens when VM is exhausted on a regular basis :-).
>
> 2.0.36: System goes into a bit of a swap storm, gets very sluggish, but I can
> switch to another window and kill Netscape.
>
> 2.1.131: System goes into a furious swap storm, when try to switch to
> another window "X" locks up, cannot move mouse pointer, reset switch
> time.
>
> Has anybody else noticed this?
>
> --
> Eric Lee Green eric@linux-hw.com http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
> "Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission
> critical applications..." -- internal Microsoft memo
>

> -

---
Jonathan Lawson
Thermal Processes Unit
Department of Applied Energy and Optical Diagnostics
School of Mechanical Engineering,
Cranfield  University,
Cranfield, Bedford. UK.
email j.lawson@cranfield.ac.uk

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings,
	that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good,
		that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion,
			Thy God reigneth!

									Isaiah 52:7