Re: 2.1.132-pre3 and ne2k: no go

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:26:01 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Jochen Heuer wrote:

> There still seems to be a little bug inside the 8390 code. This
> should be fixed before 2.2 because I don't think that I am the
> only one who uses smp and a ne2k network card. If you need further
> informations just let me know.

Hmm, you have managed to load the 8390 module?

I have an SMC-ultra card and the kernel firmly (but politely)
refuses to even load the driver :(

mirkwood:/usr/src/linux# modprobe smc-ultra
/lib/modules/2.1.131/net/smc-ultra.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy
mirkwood:/usr/src/linux# tail -3 /etc/modules.conf
options sb io=0x220 irq=9 dma=0 dma16=5
options smc-ultra io=0x300 irq=10

No messages whatsoever have been handed over to syslog
and io 0x300 and irq 10 are not in use yet...

This is the first time I am going to set up a network
myself, so I could use a bit easy-going driver stuff :)

(I have set up a null-modem PPP link however and have
installed part of a Linux system over it. The next step
is a headless install over PPP :)

As soon as I succeed I will make available a tarball of
the rootfloppy I use to do this...

cheers,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE