Re: LS-120 Formatting?

Paul Flinders (paul@dawa.demon.co.uk)
20 Dec 1998 20:46:34 +0000

hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
> Anyway, if fdformat doesn't work on LS-120 drives, then either
> fdformat, the kernel, or both needs to be updated.

Since there's no API offered to send arbitary ATAPI commands to a
device then both need to be modified - but supplying an ioctl in
ide-floppy to issue the command is fairly trivial.

> LS-120, being a SCSI or ATAPI device, presumably only needs the high
> level FORMAT UNIT command sent to it with the appropriate
> parameters.

The parameters appear to be the rub at the moment - the unit responds
to a "FORMAT UNIT" command with an all zero command parameter block
with an error indicating an invalid parameter so it presumably *does*
support the command and we "just" need to work out what parameters to
send.

I'll try mailing Panasonic technical support in the morning (since I
own a Panasonic LS120) so watch this space (but don't hold your
breath).