Re: NFS ...

Thomas Bogendoerfer (tsbogend@alpha.franken.de)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:59:43 +0100

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 01:08:31PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> We're having problems with the Linux nfsd (user space) and Solaris clients: on
> heavy NFS activity, the nfsd seems to lock up. Currently we're running a cron

after adding a SPARC IPX with Solaris 2.6 to our workgroup, the user nfsd
of our Linux server dies about once a day. I tried to narrow it down, but
that's hard on a live file server. I got a backtrace once, and nfsd dies
in free().

> job that periodically (every 20 minutes) checks the status of the rpc services
> using rpcinfo, and restarts nfsd, mountd, portmap, ...

we now use the --fail-safe option for nfsd, which restarts a new nfsd after
it the old one died. And as the Solaris box used nfs over TCP, yesterday
I switched to UDP, but right now, I don't know, wether this makes any
difference.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]